Saturday, 22 September 2012

The Next Morning...

Continuing on with the strangeness of Friday, this morning I woke up at 10:30am feeling wine-hungover, eugh. So tired and hungover M and I walk back to my place trying to avoid the sunlight as much as possible, felt like a vampire. It was pretty kool though, walking around my area in the morning when the streets are so alive, it was the first time I've seen all the shops open, so far I've only been out during 'siesta' when everything is closed and in the evening when it's mostly just bars and restaurants that are open. So M and I get back to my place, and I remember that I can't get the gate open, so M and I are there fiddling with the gate for like 2 minutes and all of a sudden and old white haired lady sticks her head out the 2nd floor window of my building and starts speaking to us in really fast spanish, and we're both kind of like What ? at first, she didn't exactly seem friendly, then again I think she thought I was trying to break in or something...oops. She was starting to look pretty concerned when finally I got the gate open, took me a long time to figure out that there's 2 parts to the gate lock, one that you move with the key and another that's just like a latch thing that I just needed to pull back to open the gate...duh. She came around later to look at the gate, I think she was still kinda concerned. After all that weirdness I went and got a spanish SIM card for my phone today, was kind of scary at first trying to communicate with the guy at the phone store in Spanish but we got it figured out, luckily there was a 'menu' kind of things with all the different phone services and plans, so anyways, I do have a working phone now with a small data plan as well THANK ZEUS. Going 5 days without a phone has been kind of nice but at the same time it was very hard trying to contact and meet up with people and the only way I ever knew what the time was by the church bells which ring on the hour and by looking at clocks in random bars/cafés, maybe bringing a watch would have been a good idea..

Anyways after I got my phone I went grocery shopping for the first time, there's a bunch of little shops like Fruterias (fruit/veggie store), Carnicerias (meat shop), Pescadores (fish shop), Panarias (bakery kinda thing) but I was lame today and just went into the normal 'super marcado' and bought cereal, yogurt, and some deli meat, all of that in total was under 6 euros, insanelyyy cheap, I Love this place, everything is so cheap. I bought a kitkat bar tonight too and it was 80 euro cents, like wth. Later in the afternoon I was back just hanging in my apartment wearing just a bra and pj shorts because at 2pm it's too hot to wear anything else really and suddenly this old, fragile, white-haired woman in a blue bath robe appears infront of my door, and I'm just like wtf and scramble to throw my tanktop back on... awkwarddd, I mean we always have our door and windows open during the day but have never seen anyone around my terrace before. Apparently her name is Lola and she's the woman who lives upstairs in the building, it's just her and another female tenant that no one ever sees up there on the 2nd floor, guess it's only a 3 apartment building.

We had a hilariously awkward conversation of me trying to understand her Spanish, she spoke really softly and really fast, she was wondering who I was and was asking what had happened to the other girl who lived here and was talking about keeping the gate closed and robbers/disturbances, guess she heard me fiddling with the gate too, oops, and of course she doesn't speak any english so most of the conversation was just me saying 'sí ' and 'vale' (okay) and 'lo siento' (sorry), then she goes and pulls out a little white string bag that looks like it's coming from her bra and I'm really like WTF now, but it was the bag that she kept her keys in, she was talking about the gate lock trying to make sure I understood how it worked and that I should keep my keys safe... it was a very odd day with the two weird conversations with Lola and the landlord. Another random thing I noticed as I was wandering around the city tonight was that shisha is a very common thing, there's actually signs in the streets advertising it and there's a ton of like shisha shops where you can sit inside and outside at tables and just smoke and order drinks and whatever. It seemed pretty weird at first, in North America they try hard to hide it or at least pretend to hide it, here there is literally advertisement signs in the streets with an image of a woman smoking a shisha bong thing on it. Welcome to Europe.

2 comments:

  1. I think most of North America is convinced that shisha is secretly an interesting drug of dubious legality instead of just fruity tobacco in a funny- and silly-looking bong (aka pretty much the least hardcore drug in existence after caffeine).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that's true, they treat it like it's weed or something in North America, here it's just a chill pass time aha

    ReplyDelete