Thursday, 20 September 2012
First Impressions
Funny things I've experienced in Granada so far, the music on the radio is a hilarious mixture of different types of spanish music and random old english music, much of which is Country although they also played songs like Tainted Love, very interesting radio station. Also, most of the people I have met so far in Granada have been complaining that it's too hot, for one thing, they're locals and they were also all wearing pants or 'warmer' clothes to some degree, it was so weird! Also, my roommate, P smokes and here you make your own cigarettes? Like she roles the tobacco into thin rolling paper and then adds the filter to it, and she does this Every time..do they not sell already made cigarettes here? P and I were wandering about in the city talking about random things, she speaks Spanish, Russian, Polish, Czech, and a little English. She's kind of like me in that she understands a fair bit of English but can't speak it that well just like me with Spanish, although I'm speaking better than I thought I would be. So pretty much, we both speak bits of lots of languages but unfortunately we don't have a strong common one, so speaking broken Spanglish has become our fun passtime :P. We were talking about how weird expressions are in different languages and she was asking me why the verb 'get' has so many meanings, because she knows what to 'get an item' is but she didn't understand the expression 'get out' and then asked me what the expression 'piss off' means aha I thought that one was funny, clearly she's been listening to some of the British tourists around here, which there a lot of btw. I learned the word for 'cool' around here is 'guay' (no idea how to spell it but it's pronounced gu-ie) and some other random words. Lastly, as there is everywhere in world, some rowdy guys in a car driving around super fast and yelling out the window passed by us while we were wandering around in the 'centro' (downtown), what else is new ahaa. There's also tons of graffiti around here which is really cool! (está guay!'). Granada is a nice little city full of ancient architecture and lots of different cultures, there's a lot of Arab/Muslim culture like Shwarma places and Halal meat places and whatnot. I Love it. Also siestas are Awesome!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment