So Day 1 (Tuesday Morning)
Started off as a total normal day, got up and went to go meet T for coffee and to get him a phone card, we ended up at this kool little square and grabbed some coffee. Although on the way to the square we passed by something that looked like a protest in a small square, there was a ton of cops and whistles and chanting people, I have no idea what was going on, didn't seem violent though, just...loud. I was going to try and open a bank account after but then I discovered that I need a residency permit before I can do that, what a pain. Then there was the SIM card, T already had a phone and just needed a SIM card but they work kind of different here, you pretty much have a weird pay as you go kind of plan and the SIM cards are like 5-10 euro which is super cheap. Everything in Spain is cheap compared to Canada. Then we found this DELICIOUS sandwich shop at Plaza Nueva, our fav plaza, they were so simple; fresh bun with delicious rich cheese and the excellent thin cured ham they have everywhere here. For entertainment we watched a guy in the plaza trying to teach another guy to ride his segway aha.
Plaza Nueva
Day 2 (Tuesday Afternoon)
Another fun experience was apartment searching in Granada, T was still looking for a place to live and so far has been staying at a hotel and on my couch. It was kind of odd because all he had was numbers and address of these apartments, no idea what they looked like, who the landlords or tenants were, nothing. Just a phone number and a name attached to it. The first one we went to see was at 1pm and it was just off of Plaza Nueva which is an awesome location, it's up the hill from Plaza Nueva which pretty much goes up to Alhambra which is so kool! We were wandering up in the area waiting to check out the apartment and came across a spectacular view as well as a piece of the Alhambra property we think.
Spectacular view or what!
Eventually we walk back down the hill to where the apartment is, when we got there we had to wait a couple minutes for the landlord, she appeared to vacuuming hardcore before letting us in aha. She was this really kool woman from South America, loud and super chill, the apartment was really nice, 2 person place, a massive living room, nice bathroom, good sized kitchen, it looked great and then...we met the other tenant...a quite Japanese girl who spoke only japanese and a limited amount of spanish, a very odd, timid creature with straight highlighted hair and confused looking eyes beneath Large glasses. So that was a no. After we left there wandered up the street a bit to check out the kool little stores and whatnot. And there, near the entrance to the Alhambra path, I fell in love aha well, there was a man sitting and playing some of the most beautiful Spanish Guitar melodies I have ever heard. I could have honestly sat there and listened to him play all day. Estoy tan enamorada con España.
So after pulling myself away from that beautiful music, T and I walked back down to the main square to go meet up with K and saw some very interesting things. Looks like it's 'Frosh Week' here in Granada for the locals, we walked into one of the central squares and found this:
Girls on the left, guys on the right, yelling and chanting at each other from across the street, another part of the girls group showed up moments later wearing garbage bags and had drawn on unibrows bahaha.
We continued on our wanders after watching this go on for a few moments and went wandering down through the plazas, there's so many plazas here it's amazing, each one is unique and different. We were planning on finding food but as usual we just ended up aimlessly wandering and I finally found a place to buy bedsheets! I've been surviving with just a duvet and a kind of bottom under-sheet thing since I got here, I found them at this store called Buenas Aires, it is this Massive fabric store, the first two levels are nothing but fabrics of every shape, colour, texture, etc. Anyways, we end up chilling in Plaza Nueva again and watched a really crazy street performer juggle all kinds of things! It was so kool!
Juggling like 6 balls, I was impressed, especially because I can't juggle at all.
So T had a couple more apartments to check out so we went to check out one that was pretty close to my place, the building was looked quite nice from the outside, we stood outside waiting for the guy to show up and let us in, he said he would be there in a couple minutes because he was walking over...20mins later he shows up, this about how time works in Spain, there was 2 guys, one looked like a normal, chilled out, cyclist kind of guy, the other one was ummm...how do I put this...creeepy...he was like a mixture of Michael Jackson and Benecio Del Torro..I don't want to sound too mean but all 3 of us got the 'pedo' kind of vibe from him..so that was bad sign #1. We go up to the apartment and it's the Tiny one 'L' shaped hallway..that was it. The kitchen was just to the left,it was dirty and Tiny, the fridge was literally beside the front door because it wouldn't fit in the kitchen and then there only appeared to be 3 bedrooms but there was already 3 guys living there so not too sure what that was about and a tiny little bathroom. Needless to say we got out of there as fast as humanly possible.
Day 4 (Tuesday Night)
Our plans for the night was to go to this Traffic Light party that ERASMUS was putting on but we were all feeling pretty chill so just made dinner at my place and cracked open a bottle of wine. T left during dinner prep to check out another apartment and finally found an awesome one! YAY! Now all 3 of us have places to live! That called for more wine drinking of course. K and my roomie P both showed up and joined us in our wine drinking, K brought over another bottle, we sat on the terrace and drank more, and more wine... 2 bottles later we finally went out to go meet up with some of T's friends. We met up with them at an irish bar and then proceeded to wander through town, stopping at a convenience store to buy another bottle of cheap wine, 3 bottles down. Finally after who-knows-how-long of walking we find this bar called Chupitería 69 (chupito is the word for shot here, so it's essentially a shot house) this place had 1 euro shots! It was ridiculous. A couple shots later...we leave and are apparently going to this place called (english translation) 'the parking lot'.
After walking like a mile or two (and buying another bottle of wine) 4th bottle down, we arrive there, it was one of the craziest things I've seen. It's this huge open space, I'm not too sure if it was actually a parking lot or not but there was probably 1000+ people standing out there drinking and smoking and just socializing -a large number of them were locals which was kool- so we walk over and weave into the crowd and find a group of American/Canadians who all somewhat know each other and hang around them then a group of locals starts talking to K and I. That was pretty interesting, they had fun kind of f*cking with K (perhaps because she's American, they seem to have a thing about that here) aha and this one guy get touching my hair which was weird. It was interesting, by that point we were both pretty borracha (drunk). Finally around 3am we left because I had the stupid Italian level test at 9am that morning, FML right. Got home and passed out around 4am.
After walking like a mile or two (and buying another bottle of wine) 4th bottle down, we arrive there, it was one of the craziest things I've seen. It's this huge open space, I'm not too sure if it was actually a parking lot or not but there was probably 1000+ people standing out there drinking and smoking and just socializing -a large number of them were locals which was kool- so we walk over and weave into the crowd and find a group of American/Canadians who all somewhat know each other and hang around them then a group of locals starts talking to K and I. That was pretty interesting, they had fun kind of f*cking with K (perhaps because she's American, they seem to have a thing about that here) aha and this one guy get touching my hair which was weird. It was interesting, by that point we were both pretty borracha (drunk). Finally around 3am we left because I had the stupid Italian level test at 9am that morning, FML right. Got home and passed out around 4am.
I see you your one euro shots and raise you fifty cent shots (I wouldn't trust them either).
ReplyDeleteI love Europe. At the right place, I could get thoroughly drunk for the price of a pint back home. Unbelievable.
Wow those are cheap shots, sounds a little sketch ahaa
ReplyDeleteI love Europe too, I've been getting sufficiently buzzed off of 2 euro bottles of wine. Love it.