Sunday, 21 October 2012

Wine, Accents, and More Wine

Went a little crazy this week, for no real reason in particular. School is starting to get a bit more intense and our social groups are expanding. Tuesday and Wednesday night I went out with some friends to get some tapas and a long with tapas there is inevitably glasses of wine..many classes of wine. Thursday I was smart enough to at least take a break and stay home, although a bunch of my friends went out drinking and clubbing and whatnot. My cold has kind of relapsed, probably from all the going out and lack of sleeping but ohwell. It has definitely been quite an interesting week. Getting more into a routine now I've started cooking more and shopping around more, here if you want meat or cheese or  fruits/vegetables or fresh bread you have to go to different stores or outdoor markets and order them, it's an interesting kind of way to go grocery shopping, sometimes can be tiring.

Also have started watching more tv and whatever with my roomie. We just got a new antenna set up, (my roomie, the landlord, and yours truly set it up together, was a bit of a challenge) and I have since been exposed to Spanish news shows, there's a Spanish version of CP24 (more or less) and a Spanish version of a Jon Stewart-type show, and there's some great Spanish game shows that mostly seem to be word-based tv shows, one is called something like 'fall!' where basically the contestant is competing against challengers in guessing words based on clues and whatever and when the challenger or the contestant fail, the round is over and the platform the loser is standing on opens up and they fall through the floor bahaha. Hilarious right. Watching English movies like Uptown Girls, Oceans 12, and James Bond in Spanish is pretty entertaining too.

By random chance, one of my cousin-in-laws is here in Granada teaching English. I've only met her once before about 6 years ago at the wedding, her uncle married my aunt on my mom's side. So Friday we decided to meet up for lunch, her 4 friends were visiting her from Scotland (she's also from Scotland) so lunch was hilarious to say the least. My friend A and I met the 5 of them in front of Burger King, unfortunately there is one here. Then went to this small café in a plaza, it was hilarious, I'm pretty sure the waiter thought we were all crazy and that we seemed obnoxiously loud to the rest of the café, ohwell ahaha. They invited us to go out with them that night so we all met up at my cousins apartment to drink around 11, there was a pretty big group there, mostly a mix of Scottish, English, and American girls. Very entertaining, lots of wine, vodka, etc. Learned a lot about Scotland, educational systems in Europe, family and tradition, and Scottish accents which was quite interesting.

Amongst many of the interesting conversations I had that night, one of the koolest ones was with the Scottish girls discussing Scotland and the accents. 4 of the girls were from Glasgow but the 5th one was from Dundee (I think that's how you spell it) which is farther north in Scotland and apparently the Dundee accent is incomprehensible to Glasgow people, especially when it's thick and drunkenly slurred aha. It's basically like the Californian accent of Scotland, the inflections are different and they tend to raise the end of their words and use the word 'like' so it's actually almost easier for us North Americans to understand than the Glasgow accent, interesting eh. I also picked up a bit of a Scottish accent after talking with them for a few drunken hours, even now it's hard for me to resist rolling the 'r' when I saw great, I wanna say grrreat ahaha. The cops showed up around 1:30am due to noise complaint from some old grumpy woman 2 floors above which is seriously unheard of in Spain, especially that early in the night. Whatever.

We stumbled to a bar that one of my cousin's students works at, she teaches some adult english courses, and had some very cheap drinks there. Then we stumbled down the road -literally like 50ft down the road from the bar- to a discoteca called Vogue (pronounced vo-gay). It was a pretty sweet discoteca, it was very red-lit and had 2 floors, somewhere on one of the crowded dance floors I met J, he was an interesting local chico. Eventually the group started splitting up and people went their separate ways. I stumbled home around 5:30am and even that's a bit of a blur. There's definitely quite a few pictures from that night floating around on facebook and wherever now. Ohman.

Saturday was a little hungover but 2 cups of Spanish coffee and cheesecake for breakfast was definitely a great pick-me-up. Didn't do much with my day besides attempting homework, siesta-ing, and making food. That night there was a big house party at my friend's apartment, there was SO much alcohol and food, it was quite the extravaganza. Drank and ate way too much, as per usual. Met some really interesting internationals from Ireland, Germany, South America, Poland, England, and various parts of Spain. Needless to say I was kind of in love with all their accents. My friend A and I brought 2 bottles of wine to the party but needless to say those disappeared rather quickly.

They used two fridge fruit drawers to hold some of the large quantity alcoholic mixes, one was a fruit punch and one was a very delicious drink close to a White Russian. When you don't have large enough punch bowls, use fridge drawers, why not?..aha very genius if you ask me. I also tried this Polish Vodka which these two Polish girls were telling us was great because it was sweeter than normal Vodka and was only 38% instead of 40%...yeah it still BURNED your throat and had this weird cinnamon type of after taste...I definitely won't say it was great. That Vodka on top of everything was definitely enough to blurrr out a fair bit of my memory..luckily there are a lot of pictures of the night floating around...aha shit, it was a fun night though! Sometimes house parties are just as good if not better than going out to bars/clubs. Some people did go out to discotecas around 3/4am but I decided to just stay and crash at my friend's place.

All in all, a great weekend, although I was feeling DEAD this morning. Much of the day was spent on the couch and on the futon on my terrace lazing about. Some homework was accomplished but focusing was quite the task. Ahwell, there's a short version of my crazy week, hope at least some of you find it entertaining to read about. It was definitely an interesting week to live through aha.


Oct. 15-21

No comments:

Post a Comment