Sunday, 28 October 2012

Is This the Real Life or Is This Just Fantasy?

Another week of new experiences. I've been here for almost a month and a half now -which is INSANE- and I'm still surprised everyday by the amount of new/interesting experiences I have. I feel like a broken record saying that I had quite an interesting week, but being here in this crazy, beautiful, random place, my weeks are really all quite different and interesting.

Wednesday night I went over to my friend A's place for dinner and made (well mostly watched A make) a Tortilla Española (Spanish omelette) which is essentially an omelette of potatoes plus cheese or peppers or whatever else you want to add into it. I know that probably sounds like a really weird food but it's delicious and a very traditional/common food here. I love it. After devouring the tortilla along with some wine of course, A and I headed over to Hannigan's Irish Pub to meet up with other friends, it's a pretty kool pub and of course it was just crawling with American students, most of whom are in my faculty, of course. A couple shots and a pretty tasty beer con tequila (yeah a beer WITH tequila and lime in it, sounds weird but was actually so good) we decided to head to a discoteca along with some other friends we ran into at Hanni's.

For anyone who's known me long enough, this next little bit of the story will not be surprising. We got to the club Granada 10, got some drinks, and proceeded to dance our faces off, as always. There's platforms (usually with cage bars around the outside of them) at Granada diez and on this particular night there was no cages so the platforms were fairly empty, when I say platforms, I mean like wooden box like things that are only like 7ft x 4ft and maybe 2ft or 3ft high. So of course, my not-exactly sober friend decides that dancing on top of one of these platforms is an Amazing idea and pulls me up as well. T'was an interesting night, especially after a few drinks (random side note: tried my first ever rum and coke, it wasn't too bad, I can see why people like them, don't think I'll be having another one tho.) Not gunna lie, jamming on top of that platform thing was pretty freaking fun, another ridiculous place/thing I've danced on to add to the books aha.

Thursday went to a International 48-Hour Short-Film Fest for Young Aspiring Directores (well that's more or less the English translation anyways) which was really cool, one of my friend's roommates actually produced one of the short films, so kool! There was definitely some pretty interesting short films (all in Spanish of course or no dialogue at all) of every genre, even a western one which was pretty weird and hilarious.

It was raining buckets all of thursday which made plan making a little difficult since walking anywhere somewhat far away in the rain was not very appealing. I definitely found my bed more comfortable than the thought of walking to class in the rain Thurs morning, what else is new. Anyways, that night a group of us ended up going to this random Italian bar we'd never been before to meet up with another friend of mine. At first it seemed a little far to walk to in the rain, but 2 bottles of wine later it didn't seem like such a bad idea anymore. It was kool little bar, the crowd was pretty randoms, some italians, some old guys, some uni kids; quite the variety. We went to order some shots, they didn't have what we wanted so we ended up having rum shots followed by limoncello shots which were quite delicioussss. Then we wandered up to a techno/dubstep club called Quilombo that was actually quite close to my place, there was a free dubstep concert on at 3am (supposedly, they always start later), we got there pretty 'early' aka like 2am so the place was totally empty still, after a couple drunken games of pool and fooseball, and some interesting conversations with Italians and Spaniards I ended up just going home, I was too tired to hang around for a crazy dubstep concert that probably didn't start until 4am.

 Holy Knights of Columbus! -Anchorman quote- This blog post is pretty long already and I haven't even gotten to the actual weekend... please feel free to tell me if these blogs are unnecessarily long.

Anywho, Friday did some shopping in the afternoon with some friends which is always fun and dangerous for the wallet. That night there was a big Italian pasta night dinner at M's house, the pasta was made by legit Italians with assistance from some of the other international people. Was one of the most delicious carboneras I've ever had. Followed up the pasta with conversations in Spanish, Italian, French, and English which was definitely an interesting time, but the best part of the dinner was definitely when our friend C brought out the Norwegian chocolate, OMG SO GOOD. After dinner I decided to go check out my first Flamenco show with some friends, it was at a little cave-shaped bar called Chien Andalou which was conveniently close to where the dinner was. Amazing guitar playing and beautiful singing and some impressive footwork is all I gotta say. Will definitely be checking out many more Flamenco shows in the future, I loved it. Watching pure Spanish passion is a very moving experiencing. The pitcher of Sangria on our table that disappeared during the course of the show was delicious too.



Saturday was actually a responsible kid and went to a café to study/do homework with some friends. We ended up at a kool little place called Café Picaro, it's a jazz-bar and so the decór was pretty artsy and random, there was even a baby grand piano in one of the corners. They were playing old classic music like Whitney Houston, the Beatles, The Supremes, Elvis etc. which was pretty interesting. After a couple hours of studying a large group of Spaniards rolled in and sat at 4 tables behind us, they all must have been in their 50's or so but they sounded like a group of rowdy teenagers, no joke, it was rather entertaining to watch but definitely broke my focus and started giving me a headache after awhile, so that was the end of our study sess.

Saturday night we went for the first time to check out a real Salsa bar called Barrio Latino. Loved it. It was a pretty legit place, lots of good salsa and bachata music, some hilarious 2 min dance lessons by one of the guys who worked there, it kind of reminded me of my salsa classes at UBC. But here in Spain people can Really dance. So. Much. Fun. After some legit salsa-ing a bunch of us met up at the discoteca Vogue, that place is pretty sweet, the music is actually Good, not just top 40 shit. Left there around 4am and got some Delicious pizza, omg it was Amazing, and as per usual I crashed at my friend M's place after some late night cereal of course.

Today was a pretty chill day, started it with some coffee and some cheesecake, perfect combo, which was followed by some sun tanning, and then a little walking excursion up to the Albyzín area on the mountain side of Granada. It was a gorgeous sunny day and the walk up the hill was lovely, we also ran into one of the guys we had met the night before at the salsa bar, super random. We wandered over to the main look out area and just sat and relaxed there for quite some time. As we were sitting up there drinking in the view a couple of guitarists came and sat besides us and began playing with amazing artistry, it was an afternoon of quiet perfection. I am so in love with this place, I know I've said that many times before and I'm sure I will say it a few more times in the future, but I really am, everyday this place gives me another reason to fall in love with it. I still can't believe this is actually my life right now. I am loving every single second of it. I am so lucky and so thankful for everyday that I get to be here.

España, te amo.

Perfecto.

Oct. 22-28

No comments:

Post a Comment