Oh man I love this city, they have the randomest holidays and the most relaxed style of deciding when they want to open and close stores/shops/restaurants/etc here. Sunday was a major holiday here, I think monday is still part of the holiday because there wasn't any school today for anyone so my first week of classes is going to be only 3 days ahaha. So anyways, there was a massive celebration in the city starting sometime in the afternoon, it was a celebration of the patron saint of Granada or something like that I think, it may have been a celebration of the 'Virgen' too..who might actually be the patron saint here, I have NO idea to be quite honest with you. Anyways, from what I could tell, the majority of the celebration was based around a massive procession through the streets, around mid afternoon there was a big marching band that started walking through the streets led by some guys in priests outfits carrying some kind of religious objects and people started gathering around in the streets of course, you could seriously here those loud marching band drums through the entire city, T and I went hiking up the side of mountain/hill I live on to go check out the Alhambra and we could still hear the band from all the up there, it was nuts! Then shortly after that there was an explosion of VERY loud fireworks all coming from one of the plazas somewhere in the 'centro' area, I didn't hear or see too much more after that until I was on my way home and got to the plaza where a lot of the big roads all converge and there was a MASSIVE crowd filling the streets in all directions, it was Crazy.
Apparently around then there was also a big..statue/float thing of the Virgin Mary with Jesus lying dead across her lap, sort of like La Pieta, I didn't see it but my friend A did, sounds like it was pretty extravagant, it was being carried by people too which is ridiculous! Of course after that there was lots of more marching band groups, cheering, and endless procession of church bells being rung, and other such noises coming from that part of town and then sometime after sunset there was another massive explosion of fireworks from the 'centro', I'm guessing to mark the end of the procession. They were so ridiculously loud I thought I was going to go deaf, I can't imagine how loud they must have been for people in the actual vicinity of them. Then not too long after that there was a beautiful firework show from somewhere farther away in the city, my terrace was the perfect place to watch them from and they weren't very loud either which was nice. Didn't take any pictures because I was too busy watching the fireworks and talking with my friend A but they were beautiful. Interesting day indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment