Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Wrapping up the term

Wow I'm so behind on blogging, I was working on a post from a couple weeks ago but unfortunately lost it because my internet in this new apartment sucks and didn't save it. Ohwell. So highlights from december..

Well had my last week of classes which was hectic and such a relief! The last couple days of grammar class my prof was getting pretty crazy, think she was starting to get fed up with some ppls seeming inability to understand grammar and grasp the spanish accent. She literally was making fun of some of the americans and the way they said 'comprendo' and words like 'like' and 'umm' while speaking spanish. So funny. During the last week of classes my pub quiz group Pero Like Wepa (the name is too complex to explain) finally came in first place for the first time too! Whatwhat! So on the monday night kind of got a little drunk by accident, winning 1st place entitles you to a pint of beer and a free bottle of wine each.

Wasn't too many either highlights from that week... finished up classes, the last day was pretty chill, altho grammar seemed to drag on that day. Thursday I had my Italian exam, not so fun but at least it was over and done with, I had all my other exams the following week. Went to an intercambio that night, nothing too exciting. There was also a big goodbye dinner at Casa Lopez that night since a lot of the brits were heading back to the Uk/Ireland for the holidays. Some asked Blondie for his autograph and said he was their favourite Backstreet Boy, definitely a hilarious moment for all of is. Friday night had a small party at my place, was a house warming kinda thing for me and Taco and since we had just moved in a week or so before. It was a ton of fun, it was christmas themed, lots of people dropped by, there was some hilarious dancing and singing that ensued. Kat attempted to teach John a traditional Scottish dance.

It was the last weekend for a lot of Americans were in Granada so spent a bunch of time hanging with my few American friends. God my memory has gotten so bad, I had everything I had done written down but unfortunately it all got lost when I got logged out of my blog without anything being saved. Ohwell. Saturday night ended up at Paddy's having drinks with some Americans, twas fun, it was apparently 2 cocktails for 5 euros so what started out as a calm night turned into a bit more a drinking fest than I had been planning on. A few too many drinks later I decided to be somewhat sensible (well kinda) and go home instead of going up to Camborio with the rest of them. And a few drunken texts later my german friend was over watching movies with me, was a pretty random night.

Monday was my grammar exam, I can't believe the semester went by so fast, on one hand it feels like I've been in Spain forever, but at the same time I was still astonished that it was already exam time. I don't think the exam was that hard, although I crammed for a bit on Sunday and to be honest, I didn't really find that grammar class that hard, altho my brain was pretty tired after 2 hours of grammar. After that just went to meet up with Mads for coffee and decided to take the rest of the night off from studying since my other 2 exams weren't until wednesday and one of them was a conversational exam. By random chance I ran into J on the street on his way to study, was kinda weird. I dunno, we haven't seen much of each other in the past couple weeks. So that was that.

Monday night as always we went to Hannigans for the pub quiz, we came in 2nd which meant we all got half pints but since it was the last quiz of the month, they tallied up the points and literally by 1 point we won 1st place for the month ! Wooo! PERO LIKE WEPA ! We got a bottle of champagne to share and we all got Guinness t-shirts, and again I got a little more tipsy on a monday night than I had intended.. but we celebrated and danced and had a good time till the wee hours in the morning and then we all figured it was time for bed since most of us had exams or major studying to do the following day. Some of my quiz team members have returned to the USA but I will keep the team alive! Aha.

Tues was just a day full of studying of course. And a somewhat awkward run in with my German friend at a restaurant. That's all I'm going to say about that. Ohmylife. Lots of cramming ensued. I had my first exam wednesday morning, it was for my Traditional Music History class, was definitely way more prepared than need be. The exam was literally two pages...an EXAM..I don't think my tests have been that short since like elementary school. I kinda feel like my education here is a joke.. and it actually saddens me. Then came my conversational exam, was a little more nervous for that since we didn't really know what to expect or how to prepare for it.

The first part was 40mins of just writing, we got to choose from 2 topics and literally just write about anything and we were suppose to use as many techniques and whatnot that we've learned this semester. Then we all got into groups of 4, except for one group which was just 2 boys..clearly my teacher wasn't very organized with the whole numbers thing, ohwell. Anyways, my group ended up going LAST, for no real reason, we wanted to go second but then the 2 boys snuck in before us so we wanted to go after them but for some reason our prof said she wanted the other group because it had the 2 Japanese girls in it and her only reasoning for that was because she preferred it. The talking part of the exam was only suppose to last for 10mins per group, maybe a little more..well the group with the japanese girls were in there for like 25mins, if she wanted to spend more time with that group why didn't she put them last! Some of us had things to do and places to go, like geez.

Anyways, we finally went in for ours, it was me and 3 girls,we 'd all become pretty close in that class, was kinda sad that it would be the last time that we'd all be together. 2 of 3 have since returned to the states for good, sad times. We literally just sat there and talked about everything and anything for like 10 minutes and then at the end she just gave us a bit of feedback. Mine was pretty interesting..

She started out by saying that my Spanish is 'extraordinary...extraordinarily odd..' because they try and teach the students to speak Spanish at a pretty mediocre and steady level whereas I can speak Spanish really well one minute and then it turns really brutal the next..she literally drew a diagram on the board, a really high peak and then a really low peak and then another high peak, and another low peak... okay then? I don't know if anyone who only speaks one language will understand but when learning a new language, some days are good, some days are bad aha some days I can speak with pretty good fluency and some days I can barely but a coherent sentence together..yea, it's a very normal thing. My capability literally just depends on the day. Many people will say the same. The day of the exam I was a little nervous and kinda tired from lack of sleeping and already having 1 exam, plus was kinda just pissed off for having to wait around for like 45mins for the exam. Probably should just have gone for a drink awhile waiting, that definitely can help with the speaking fluency. Anyways, just need to work on my vocab and on my speed/pronunciation, kinda already knew that, she also told me that sometimes I speak too fast and stumble over my words, well I do that already in english so that's nothing new, plus I do when I'm speaking spanish and am somewhat unsure of what I am saying aha. So yeah, that was the end of my exams.

That night just went bar hopping to say goodbye to a bunch of my American friends and whatnot, was a pretty sad night and mildly alcohol filled. Met up with lots of people, said goodbye to lots of people, but that's how life goes. I also met some new people who I've since spent a lot of time with since there wasn't too many of us still hanging around here around christmas time. So there's a quick summary of mid december and my fun times with exams. Sorry this post is like 2 weeks late, but you know, life get's busy and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment